MT-102B Custom MXV P.A.F. Humbucker Guitar Pickup Specs.:
?Neck 8.3K, Bridge 8.0K, Short A2 magnets.?
The first and only clone set of the pickups in the Taylor/Richards Burst! And I'm just going to say it, this set is freakin' cool! But imagine one day you get a call that goes like this, "Jon, holy shit, I got the Burst Mick Taylor played with the Stones in front of me, it has short mags and sounds amazing! I read the pickups at 73 degrees F so I have good numbers... Fed Ex me your gauss meter and I will read the gauss on these pups!!" So I say, "I'm headin' to Fed Ex right now!" Well that was the call I got from Kim Lafluer at Historic Makeovers recently. The result of that call and many hours of testing with the critical info plugged in, is the MT-102B MXV set.
The original pickups in the Taylor/Richards Burst are in fact short magnet PAF's. Short magnets in vintage PAF pickups are not typical but not unheard of. And a few years ago I sent a short PAF humbucker magnet from one of my best PAF pickups to T&S in Indiana to be cloned. They sliced it in half, did an x-ray spectrograph to nail the metal mix and made me a custom heat of this very unique vintage short A2 variety. Those short A2 clone magnets have been waiting on the shelf for a special project and now they debut in the MT-102B Custom PAF humbucker clones! Based upon gauss readings and the tone of the Taylor Burst, this vintage beauty very likely has short A2 magnets. The MT-102B Custom set is the result of many test pickups, precisely calibrated Throbak exclusive magnets and specially selected magnet wire, and to top it off, wound on Throbak's time machine, 1957 Leesona-102B.
If you like fat, singing neck slide tones. If you like bridge tones that go from sweet to raunchy with picking dynamics, you will love this higher ohm neck, slightly lower ohm bridge combination of the MT-102B set. They cost a little more because frankly it takes a bit more time for me to make them, but there has been no other pickups like the MT-102B Custom set made for the past 50 years. The Taylor/Richards Burst sadly now lives in a glass case, literally a Rock and Roll Museum piece. But the tone lives on with the ThroBak MT-102B Custom MXV set.
ThroBak 1957 Leesona 102B
Maximum Vintage Patent Applied For Set Specs. MADE IN USA
• Vintage PAF clone Butyrate bobbins tooled and molded in the USA to vintage specs..
• Coils wound on vintage Leesona 102B winder for unsurpassed vintage winding accuracy.
• PAF repro baseplates tooled and stamped in the USA for ThroBak.
• PAF repro covers stamped in USA and Nickel plated (with no Copper) at the same Kalamazoo shop that plated vintage PAF covers.
• Pole screws with vintage alloys cloned from 50's vintage PAF screws with cold form die tooled for ThroBak. Made in USA.
• Slugs with vintage alloys cut with a vintage Brown and Sharpe automatic screw machine for correct vintage look. Made in USA.
• Vintage Spec. Plain Enamel 42AWG magnet wire made with vintage coating and processes. Made in USA.
• Alnico magnets custom cast in the USA with vintage formulations.
• Vintage correct braided wire. Made in USA.